Sal's on Fifth, 14 December 2018


The intersection of fifth & Hennepin - the intersection of anything and Hennepin, essentially from Washington down to that weirdo horseshit by Lyndale - is a shitty intersection but fifth & Henny is especially gross and always has been gross because it's one of the ones where the "nightlife" happens and people generally get roughed up there and every couple of years it escalates into full blown shootings. Just a shitty intersection.

This is where I went for lunch today because I heard the siren call of the Italian sub, in this instance, The Godfather from Sal's on Fifth, a little place right on the LRT. On their site, they describe the sandwich thusly:
Salami, pepperoni, ham, provolone cheese, lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, and Italian dressing.
You'll notice, as I did, the lack of onions or banana peppers but it's a new place to me so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I walked over there - don't even ask about how my bike situation at work is goofed up, just know it's goofed up due to some draconian security bullshit - and I placed my order. The guy who took my order didn't understand what I said so the guy who rang me up translated for him and he started work on my sandwich. I stood back and watched and thought it was a nice touch how they layered the meats and cheese on the bun and toasted that in the pizza oven before putting the veggies on. I got it back here and opened the box and that's when I saw what's in that photo:
A world of mayonnaise.
And we already know how I feel about mayonnaise on an Italian sub.

So, let's just make this quick, how was it? How did this taste? How bad am I going to feel for talking shit about an independent business?

It tasted like a BLT. Makes sense. It's pig, lettuce, tomato, and mayo with cheese and Italian dressing that I couldn't taste. So it tastes like a BLT. OK. Not bad but not what I was in the mood for.

How about those fries that came with it? Well, similar to but not as bad as Dulono's. They were rubbery without being floppy, soggy, or clumped together but, uh, Sal's has a fish sandwich. I didn't order it but I know what it tastes like now.

This wasn't bad but it wasn't good, either. It was pretty typical of downtown, where you either pay for either quality or quantity but rarely both. This time around, I got saddled with quantity.

Can't recommend this one.

Comments