Lightning Round, Kind Of, 6 June 2021

What can I say? There just wasn't much exciting in May.
Oh, shit, that rhymes.
♫What can I say?♫
♫There just wasn't that much exciting in May♫
I mean, there wasn't. We're moving - well, not Sandwich Bully, no, not again, Kath and I are moving in a week and a half and there just isn't a whole lot of time to go out and explore sandwich options when you have to go home after work and pack your shit up.
But we did get out a few times, just a few, and mostly we're trying healthier options, like to-go salads from co-ops which are... fine? and teas that taste the way incense smells.
Listen, this is the sixth season of Sandwich Bully. You didn't think this shit would come without repercussions, did you?

2 Scoops, 5 June 2021

   Even if the chili dog combo is six dollars and not five like I think it might have been, it was worth it. For me it was, anyway. Maybe not for Kath, as this is only the second time she's ever had to deal with the Pop Rocks-&-Coke style reaction my guts have to beans.
   If you don't live in Saint Paul, it's maybe not worth the out-of-the-wayness to just get an inexpensive combo meal but it is worth it to check out their eighteen flavors of ice cream. I don't think we've ever talked about ice cream before but I liked their raspberry lemon Italian ice a good deal, it was like a Sweet Tart in a cup.
   But I know, the pic is of the chili dog so we have to talk about the chili dog and, yes, that is chili, the stew, on the dog as opposed to chili, the sauce, on the dog. It works, though. I mean, the beans didn't work for Kath once they got in my guts but overall, I liked it. I can't remember the last time I had chili stew on my hotdog. It sounds like maybe something I would have done in my twenties but even then I think I would've still just bought a can of Hormel No Beans. Or Wolf No Beans if I were at Big Lots. Well, let's be clear: Tony Packo's if I were at Food Town in Ohio and Wolf No Beans if I were at Big Lots in Ohio, then Hormel No Beans if I were at Cub in Minnesota and then Wolf anything as a backup at the Cub in Minnesota. I tried Essential Everyday once. Phew. Hashtag never again.
   ANYWAY, the bun was nice and soft, I'll admit I found the frank a little short but it was smothered in chili so the vacant part of the bun was still occupied.
   All told, my chili dog combo meal, Kath's barbecue brisket combo meal, and two small ice creams ran under twenty five bucks. It's a family owned and operated operation that just celebrated their first anniversary. Go give them your money.

(The Cheese Shop at) Lake Wine & Spirits, 15 May 2021

   Sometimes, you have to do the embarrassing thing, like go to the ER for a tummy ache. Then they give you an anti-nausea pill usually reserved for chemo patients that takes care of your tum-tum in five minutes and then they tell you to take Prilosec for a month and there goes another hundred dollar co-pay and then you wind up hitting the fancy deli inside the fancy liquor store and ordering a sandwich called the Garfield...
This one's for you, Tommy!
... which is a roast beef sandwich with... You know? I can't find the menu anywhere.
   Anyway, this had a cheese on it, tomato, onion, and arugula. Then there was the horsey mayo. I asked for extra horsey mayo. The guy at the counter hooked me up.
   It wasn't as horse-a-licious as I'd hoped.
   In fact, the sandwich was just OK. The meat was warm and tender, I remember that much. Overall, though, it was just OK. Maybe my perception was tainted by having just come out of the ER thirty maybe forty minutes earlier. I won't recommend against them but I'm not losing my nut over them.

Afro Deli, Skyway Location, At Some Point In The Week Leading Up To My ER Visit

   Awful falafel.

Comments