Brasa, 1 February 2020 - but first a lightning round

So my ulcers are starting to clear up. See, you get ulcers when you drink a twenty ounce sody pop every day because a twenty ounce sody pop is about a hundred thirty percent of your daily recommended sugar intake and sugar turns to acid and not an acid like your stomach acid but the kind of acid that eats at your stomach lining and sends you to the ER and then you get put on Prilosec and told to book a follow up appointment where a doctor rams a camera down your esophagus and you say, "Uh, how about I just cut out the sugar and practice more portion control?" and that is how you wind up going to the rip off joint in the food court next door that uses Carl Buddig turkey and has the nerve to charge you eight bucks the nice kid who's really happy to make you a sandwich on whole grain.
Erbert & Gerbert, 22 January
Man at the office, Ken Money, eats an E&G turkey sandwich every day. That's just who he is. He saw me there and told me his sandwich was free and asked if I got the app and I said this is only the second time I've been here in four years. He told me I should still get the app.
I don't remember the fancy name they assigned to this rote Italian sub, I just remember that... Y'know... Don't mistake this for anything more than a Jimmy John's with sun dried tomatoes.
Lite Bite, 23 January
I was looking at the menu and the Lite Bite kid asked me what he could get me, I asked him what he liked, he liked the Cranberry Turkey Club or whatever it was called. It's a turkey club with cranberry jelly on cranberry whole grain and I thought, "That could be fun, I could review that for Sandwich Bully," and then you saw how in a hurry I was to do that.
Tasted like sugar.
Franks-A-Million, 30 January
Look, their cheesesteak is not pretty. I don't even know where they got an idea to make one that looks like that. It's also not that good. I knew better but I figured I'd give it a go and it turned out it was the first thing I ate in weeks that didn't give me the shits. They get one point for that. Otherwise? Jesus wept, someone please introduce them to white cheddar or cheezwhiz or something.
Cheeseburger's good, cheesesteak is... Well, it will do if your only other lunch option is a pile of fire ants.
And now the part you came here for...

BRASA, 1 February 2020

   This is the fourth time Kath and I went to Brasa but the first time we got in, pretty much because we went earlier in the day after a search for boneless Buffalo wings for Kath for a late lunch turned up bupkus and Kath suggested that we try Brasa since it's not going to be packed at four o'clock. So I said sure because why not? I mean I'd rather we just make something here but Kath had some big news to celebrate and wanted to go out. So we went out.
   Me? I've been swinging back into my slaw cravings (I wanted to make BBQ bacon slaw burgers for dinner since my guts seemed halfway healed) and I saw the smothered and pulled chicken sandwich on their menu - chicken marinated in a red sauce that I'm guessing is adobo and topped with coleslaw and I was like, "Well, I don't have to keep looking at the menu." I got the "green sauce" for my tortilla chips. Kath got the chilequiles.
   The meat was smokey and savory with hints of toasted pepper or cumin, I'm not sure. My palette typically leans toward Italian so when we start getting into Central American and Caribbean cuisine, I'm grappling for things I recognize. Like I referred to the green sauce as cilantro aïoli twice but I'm probably full of shit. I know abodo sauce when I taste it, though, and that chicken was marinated in adobo (I'm probably wrong about that) which played nice low notes against the creamy tang of the coleslaw. The chicken was moist and tender, not an inappropriately cooked bit to it and the cabbage of the slaw was firm to the bite but not entirely crunchy - it's cabbage, not iceberg lettuce.
   There it is! Our first Lettuce joke of 2020! Rejoice, meine kleine Tyrannjugend! We've brought back the Lettuce joke! That's right! It's not even a joke! We just say "lettuce" and then we post a picture of Lettuce! Wait for when we bring up garlic! Hoo, boy! Are you in for some World Cup level goof-'em-ups with visual references when we start talking about garlic! But for now, let's enjoy Lettuce.
   Anyway, that was it. Two things on the sandwich. Two well-made things on a bun. Not too wet, not at all dry, not overly complicated with a bunch of ingredients competing for real estate in flavor town, it was exactly what I was looking for and I didn't know I was looking for it. I thought I was looking for an Italian beef for a minute this week. I'm still in the mood for a slaw burger but this? This. Jesus. The bar has definitely been raised for the ol' Sandwich Bully. Then again, it's still winter here, even if a mild one (thanks, Australia, I guess) (oh, and be a mensch and throw a few bones to the Australian Red Cross, if my broke ass can do twenty, you can do... something) (where were we?) (right), so we're not at peak Bully season but we have an earlier than usual contender for best of the year, an award that has never been given out by this blog.
   Anyway, go give Brasa your money (after you give the Australian Red Cross your money).

Comments