Two Lunches in One Day! 14 June 2019

So I've had a shitty week, covered in chicken juice, washer and dryer broke, got trapped in an elevator that wouldn't stop jerking, and got hit by an SUV. Yesterday, I said fuck it and had two lunches that both fucked up my diet.

Sasquatch Food Truck

   I got to the Sasquatch food truck and was prepared to get a Rachael when I saw this on their menu, the Buon Giorno: capicola, soppressata, "spicy" salami, provolone, lettuce, tomato, and vinaigrette.
   Right to the point? The bread was dry and for all the care put into selecting top quality meats, it tasted on par with the little subs you get at Cub for a third of the price. No giardiniera, no pepperoncinis, not even onions, and the vinaigrette was sweeter than sour.
   Doesn't matter how high quality the meats are when they're all salty pork because that's all it tastes like: Salty pork. You could get away with two meats at that point. The bread doesn't have to be some special herb-infused focaccia it just shouldn't be dry. This sandwich actually could've benefited from mayo.
   The high quality provolone stood out with a certain lactic umami providing a high note to an otherwise unremarkable sandwich.

Zelino

   Looked for something to eat, found Zelino again, turns out they have a meatball sandwich. Figured I'd check it out. It's meatballs, marinara, and fontina cheese in a bread pocket, the chef - yes, chef - asked me if I wanted pepperoncinis and I said yes.
   She also told me to take a fork and napkins on the way out the door, I might need them. I didn't, as it turned out; you just have to rotate it every other bite.
   Let's not fuck around: We know what a meatball sub is supposed to taste like and this is what a meatball sub is supposed to taste like. Even with only two meatballs in it, I was satisfied - these were big balls. Big. Tasty. Beefy. Balls. The bread was soft and soaked up the sauce easily, the pepperoncinis popped out of the sauce adding an extra layer of vinegar sourness over the sodium sour of the tomatoes in the sauce. The fontina added texture and a creamy flavor contrasting the vegetable notes but could have any other cheese, it wasn't that notable. The meatballs were seasoned well and only the tiniest faintest bit pink in the center.
   I liked this sandwich and I would get it again the next time the universe pisses me off to the point of foregoing my diet. Give them your money.

Comments