Ginger Hop, 19 December 2018

IT'S STILL EEELLL NNNIIIÑÑÑOOO
It's 41°F (4°C) and it's a week from Xmas in Minneapolis.
Thus I was able to make it back across the river again to pick up yesterday's number two poll winner, and choice of notable Catfordian Mamzer, Tom, a salmon burger, giving us our first fish sandwich here at the Bully.
Sorry, that sounded lame. From now on, Sandwich Bully will never refer to itself as "The Bully" ever again.
From the menu:
A deliciously seasoned salmon mixture, grilled, topped with baby lettuce and served with wasabi tartar sauce. $11.95. Add avocado $1.00
So, no hijinks this time around. I saw no breasts, they had CNN on this time and if you've ever watched CNN, you know the only boob you're bound to see is Wolf Blitzer.
So, with no taytays to talk about, we can get right to the salmon burger.

Let's start with the one big problem and we can move on to the positives: I couldn't taste the wasabi tartar sauce. I was, over the phone, given the option between the wasabi tartar sauce or the sriracha mayo and, no, I wanted the thing on the menu: The wasabi tartar sauce. That was, strangely, the one thing I was looking forward to since I saw it on the menu. "How the fuck they do that? What's that going to taste like?" Because I've kind of made that before.

See, wasabi in the states is just horseradish and green food coloring. I think I heard that on The Splendid Table - Yes, The Splendid Table. Fuck you - that real wasabi is too expensive to import to the states or something. So, a couple times, I made my own horseradish tartar sauce using Provençal aioli, dill pickle, and horseradish. It was OK but I thought I did something off, so I'm interested in seeing what Ginger Hop does. Alas, I never picked up any hint of horseradish - sorry, wasabi or pickle and only the faintest traces of mayonnaise buried under the avocado.

The greens added a bit of crunch for texture.

The real polar bear set adrift on an ice float due to El Niño was the salmon patty, natch. It was pale on the inside, the color of chicken, almost, not the neon pink stuff my mother fed us.
It wasn't overly seasoned, perhaps only with a bit of salt and pepper with flecks of chives or green onions and it was complimented better by the avocado than by the ghost of the wasabi tartar sauce.

In the end, we're talking about a fish sandwich, a particularly spendy fish sandwich where the fish was, rightfully, the most pronounced thing on it. Not a secondary ingredient or a condiment but the main ingredient. Can't spend a whole lot of time talking about it when it's done right. Between the two menu items I've had so far, I'd order this one again before I'd order the kimchi Rachael.

Oh and last time, I figured, "Let's be daring!" and opted for a side of wonton chips that came with sweet & sour sauce, this time I went with regular old fries (which were regular as fuck) and they came with a big cup of catsup* and I was impressed because most places say, "Fuck your catsup!" (Dulono's will weigh you down with catsup packets.) However, tucking in, I realized something was off about this catsup.
It was... spicy?
It was...
Wait a minute...
Is this sriracha catsup?
OK, I guess.
Sriracha catsup.
This is that place.
The place with multiple sriracha blends.
OK.
Sure.

* Online pal Kayla has an adverse reaction to catsup and prefers ranch which is I think why we never moved beyond the conversation phase of Tinder back in the day. The rift is that serious.

Comments