What is this and where is it from?

Turns out that I don’t even know what my own avatar is because, for the longest time, I thought it was the Reuben from Northbound, but that’s only because how small the pic usually is. (And I did just take an hour to find the full size one.)
Whatever this is, labeled “20170619″ (so, 19 June 2017), it’s never been reviewed here. I was at Marino’s on 3 June and Broder’s on 24 June, but where was I on Monday, 19 June 2017 and what was it that I ordered because, at first glance, this looks like a messy Reuben until I spy the tomato chilling up top and the traces of mustard between the cheese and bread but is that lettuce?
I mean, it looks like coleslaw or something so at least it’s not sauerkraut because sauerkraut and tomato? Not like it’d be much of an improvement to do coleslaw and tomato but… Actually, that probably wouldn’t be that bad.
So now I have to go digging through menus which, fortunately, doesn’t mean running through the stack on top of the fridge. Just going online.
Hit up my usual suspects, starting with C. McGee’s and run through their menu and, got to tell you, nothing sounds like this pic. Hit up Allie’s. Run down the menu. Holy shit, I should be a homicide detective.
But not like one of those real life bastards who are kind of pudgy and have moustaches and wives who don’t worry about them anymore and say shit like “I do it to make the world a safer place for my kids” but mean they’re in it for the pay and benefits, no. I mean like those fictional ones who are swole and have great hair and wives played by young Lorraine Bracco who say shit like, “Goddamnit, Johnny, every night you’re out there is another night I might get that call! And I can’t take that call, Johnny! I can’t! I’m not going to be a thirty eight year old widow! You have to make a choice, right now: Me or the badge, Johnny! What’s it going to be?” and then say shit like, “Celeste, damnit, I do this to make the world a safer place for our kids!” except they totally mean it. That’s the kind of homicide detective I ought to be.
On Allie’s menu is a sandwich called the “New York” billed as “Pumpernickel, Corned Beef, Swiss, Lettuce, Tomato and Dijon Mustard”.
Doesn’t say anything about mayo and I still think that lettuce looks like cabbage but I am the guy who misidentified gruyere as havarti on Saturday.
Anyway, I’d love to review it but it’s been over a year. I mean, looking at the picture, it’s a good looking sandwich, I’m sure it tastes good. Allie’s knows their way around a club and a couple simpler sandwiches. Their Italian is basically and banana peppers (for real, no tomatoes, and that’s some bullshit) and their Reuben bats five hundred (got to dock points for cold kraut on a hot sandwich), but I’m willing to bet that I liked this. Maybe I’ll even pick one up this week.
So, this is kind of awkward, huh? I put out a distress signal and then I pretty much took care of it myself. If you want to comment that you were about to tell me and then I figured it out, go ahead. That’s fine.
Anyway, thanks for your help with - I mean I guess I did all the lifting on this one but I feel like I should still thank you for coming on this journey with me.
Oh, and by the by, I’m sure you’re burnt out after the midterms but be sure to vote on what I order for dinner tonight on twitter, you can follow that link or just find me at @CharliePauken. As of right now, there’s three and a half hours left to vote and all three votes favor Italian Beef, which we haven’t done in a lloonngg time here.

Comments