The Brothers Deli, 16 August 2018

Apologies for the blurry shot, I was walking.
Anyway, this was the New York-sized corned beef, which I got because I should be eating more poultry but I’ve got a… Let’s watch that link stop working. Sometimes I swear I should have stayed on Blogger. But nnnooo, I had to switch to Tumblr because Tumblr has an app.
Anyway, this is going to be a short one because this is pretty simple. It’s just corned beef.
So, as I’ve been saying since Christ was a child, I’m sick of downtown but that’s where I work so I just have to find new places, like today. I spied The Brothers Deli and I open up their menu and I see something called Kenny’s California Reuben which is - and check the fuck out of this shit out - turkey, coleslaw, “Switzerland swiss cheese”, and Russian dressing, to which I blurt out loud, “Th’fuck!?”
As I read further through the menu, it runs out they have a regular Reuben and a pastrami Reuben but I can’t trust either because these also list “Switzerland swiss cheese”. And I’m figuring I just get the same thing all the time, I think I’ve collected enough data to assess the Reuben scene in this shitpit city.
So I get to the Brothers and I saunter down to the end of the counter and the old guy looks at me only half-interested in making a sale. I order and he asks the latina lady behind the counter if she has eight ounces of corned beef. Makes sense. This is a half hour from closing. The guy asks if I want mustard. I say yeah, yellow mustard. He says, “Behind you.”
OK, so mustard packets.
I like this guy.
He has a shitty attitude and doesn’t care if he makes you painfully aware of it. He has a disposition better suited for doing oil changes. He’s like me back when I ran the hostel and guests complained when we were out of coffee because Scoliosis Aimee drank it all and I would just tell them to go to the coffee shop around the corner.
Anyway, got my sandwich, got on my bike, came back to the mail room.
The corned beef was buttery and savory but room temperature and a little tough. The bread was flimsy and the bakery they got it from went crazy on the carraway seeds.
Yep, really that simple.
You can pass on this one.

Comments