Colonial, 17 September 2020

   Remember back when I canceled Marissa's? That was a sad fucking day for every one. Truly awful. Real fucking bummer.
   Well, it's been re-opened as Colonial, which Kath and I were like, "Uh, that's... uh..." but we also don't want to be those white people who tell Latin folks what they can't or shouldn't name their own market, restaurant, and bakery.
    A few weeks back we popped in there so we could pick up a few things from the market side and, since I hadn't been in there since before the rename, I poked my head over at the taqueria, telling Kath I needed to see something.
    There was a tall close-to-middle-aged man showing off the menu to a pair of customers. A new kitchen manager! I could go back now!
   Fast forward to this week, I took Kafe Nasty to Heather's where we split a Cubano and a Rachael (see below) and then, yesterday, I decided I wanted to give Yeah Yeah Taco a try. It's just a half a block from me in the same building as Zetta's. They open at eleven thirty, I got there at eleven forty, the doors were still locked. I turned around, grabbed my bike, saw them open the door for somebody else, and figured I'd see what's up with Harry Singh's. Get to Harry Singh's and he doesn't open until noon. So I tell myself, OK, let's try Colonial.
   I see two women and a dude working the kitchen, I place my order for a tinga burrito con todo. Then the lady who took my order calls a different dude over and from behind the safety of my mask, I mutter, "Oh, shit," because I can't be sure that this dude, under his mask, isn't the racist dude who ignored me and then fucked up my order multiple times from back in the day. Kath and Kafe reported similar run-ins with this dude and I'm hoping that this isn't the same dude behind the mask but it turns out that, whoever this dude is, all his job is is washing dishes and running the register. Whoever he is, he's nowhere near my food nor is he in charge of the person who is.
   I got my burrito with red sauce (I prefer green but OK) and took off, came back here, opened the box to find this tostada / pico de gallo sitch on the side and a big fuck off looking-to-kill-you burrito on the main stage. There was the chicken tinga (tinga de pollo) of course, and a lot of it. But con todo at the new Colonial consists of lettuce (lechuga), sour cream (crema), Spanish rice (arroz Español); I didn't detect any refried beans which is OK by me because me and frijoles are no bueno. No salsa but that's what the red sauce was for. And I'm not going to complain as it tasted excellent. I mean I'm just nitpicking over the semantics of "con todo" when con todo turns out to mean tres cosas but I did get those tres cosas, I got todo. I didn't get dos, I got todo. And it tasted great.
   So Yeah Yeah Taco is going to have to wait, maybe after Kath's beloved Taco Cat closes at the end of the month and we'll need a new place that puts chimichurri and kimchi on a vegan taco - Actually Kath doesn't get that one and Yeah Yeah Taco doesn't have one either. Look, all I'm saying is that Kath and I have limited time left with Taco Cat, that's who we're spending our time with.
   In the meanwhile, I'm happy to report that Colonial is dealing out the high quality dishes and you should go give them your money. No frills, straightforward, good food that will knock you into a fucking coma if you're not careful. Go give them your money.

Heather's, 16 September 2020

PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE UNAVAILABLE
   So I grabbed Kafe Nasty and told him I was taking him to Heather's. He was looking at the fried chicken and I was saying I was torn between the Cubano and the Rachael and Kafe Nasty said let's get both and split them.
   The Rachael was good but not spectacular. We both noted that there was a lot of sauerkraut but the turkey was appropriately moist and juicy. Didn't taste much of the thousand island.
   The only complaint I had about the Cubano was that it was lopsided and all my pork fell out but the ha stayed in. They can't control that so that's not a point against them. The addition of pickled onions and seeded jalapeños was brilliant and added a complexity to the sandwiches, just a little bit more vinegar sourness and heat that played nicely against the fattiness and saltiness of the ham and roast pork.
    So, nothing's changed with Heather's. They should still get your money.

Comments