Lightning Round! Again!

Sal's On 5th, 7 June 2019

   I was hesitant to revisit Sal's after that Italian sub that tasted like a BLT and the floppy fries. But after weeks of research, I had to accept that they were, more than likely, the only place near the office that does a chicken parm.
   Well, it was OK but it wasn't remarkable. I don't know what I was expecting. It's not like there's a nonna somewhere slaving over a weekday sauce just to have it slathered on a deep fried breaded breast on a steamed bun and buried under a Wisconsin cheese blend. No, be sensible. This sauce came out of a can, but like one of those old school cans with the spout sticking out the top.
   The fries were fresh this time, so crispy on the outside, al dente on the inside.
   Not bad but not worth ten bucks.

Bryn Mawr Pizza & Deli, 8 June 2019

   I put a lot of thought into what I was going to say about this joint but it would be one of those things where I just go off on the Bryn Mawr neighborhood, which actually is quite lovely (and this is, surprisingly, our first Bryn Mawr entry), it's where the old hippies move to to spend the rest of their days selling woke lawn gnomes and ceramic fountains that look like sharks spitting and hire dudes in Bad Brains t-shirts to hang out in front of their shops all day to help load this kind of shit into the hatch of a Subaru with a kayak mounted on top, meanwhile the bodega is staffed by a woman whose either seventeen and looks twenty eight or twenty eight and looks seventeen and it has to be the former because she has a hundred flower and tribal tattoos.
   But the sandwich? Well, it's Italian dressing, onion, pepperoncini, salami, pastrami, pepperoni, mozzarella, lettuce, and tomato so it breaks my diet and I've groused before that just putting a bunch of salty pig meats together just tastes like pork - and throwing pastrami in there doesn't make a lick of difference - but you have to understand that I had to order this one because, as you're familiar with me by now, I have a fucking bone to pick with this single-hitching-post town and its Italian sub selection.
   This was real good and I'll vouch for it, I'll tell you to give this place your money, at least for this sandwich. (And it's only seven bucks.) You'll notice that it has lettuce but not mayo, so we're pretty close to a winner with this one.
   Can't recommend the pizza by the slice, however; I had a veggie slice while I waited on my sambooch and that was lackluster.

Dagwood's, 10 June 2019

   I got their turkey Dagwood which is just a turkey club hold the bacon. I didn't get a chance to specify that I wanted salad instead of chips so there went my sodium intake. I guess that's fine because their side salads suck. But the sandwich? You ever have a turkey club? But you were Muslim? This is like that.
   They're not the best, far from the worst. Independently owned, cheaper than most skyway joints. Give them your money.

One Two Three Sushi, 12 June 2019

   This is also our first sushi entry (on a sandwich blog).
   I did the build your own: Tuna, cucumber, daikon, tempura, and spicy mayo. It was nine bucks.
   I'm eating skyway sushi. Pray for me.
   Just kidding, it was decent. The wasabi was olive-hued, the ginger was pale.
   So, yeah, actually, pray for me.

Comments