Los Ocampo (Express), 7 May 2019


   NOPE!!! NO CROSS-SECTION!! Because Daddy Charlie ordered a messy baby from Los Ocampo for lunch.
   "But Charlie," you say, "as drop dead gorgeous as you are with your full lips, eyes the hue of chocolate, and what I can only assume is a Big Gulp of iceless Dr. Pepper in the front of your trousers, how did you manage to get to the Midtown Global Market on your lunch break?"
   Well, I didn't. Turns out Los Ocampo has a downtown location that nobody told me about next to the Leeann Chin I don't give a fuck about. So, seeing as how I was going to do lowercase m mexican at Taco John's today for Taco Tuesday, I decided to up my game and get a torta. A tinga torta con todo.
   A messy baby.
   Like Kafe-Nasty-eating-a-Foxy-Falafel-at-May-Day level messy baby.
   I had to wash my hands after this sandwich.
   Let's break it down: The tingy was saucy with pronounced spicy notes and hints of smoke and savory, the jalapeños were seeded and pickled, provided bite and sour, the bread was a bit floppy on the bottom and toasty on the top, and I couldn't taste a goddamned thing else. I watched the lady put cheese on it. Couldn't taste it. I was looking right at the tomato. Couldn't taste it. Big ass red onion rings? Couldn't taste 'em. Generous avocado slices? Couldn't taste 'em. Lettuce?
   I mean, can you taste lettuce?
   So the dominant flavors were the tinga and the jalapeños, nothing wrong with that, just overpowered everything else.
   I ordered chips and guac on the side, homie at the register asked what size I wanted, I said small, he asked if I was sure and showed me the two sizes; small, a generous cup of guac, and large, a to-go soup cup of guac. I kept it small.
   The guac was smooth and creamy with diced tomato bits in it but there was a certain tang to it that I couldn't put my finger on. Maybe they use more salt than I use. Can't put my finger on it.
   Anyway, it's Los Ocampo. Their reputation is well-earned. Give them your money at any of their locations.

And on a sad note...

   Oaxaca Tacos in the food court next door, which I called the best Mexican food in walking distance from the office, has closed permanently. I asked homie at the pizza joint next door and he said he didn't know what happened, just that they were talking about selling it, which is a damned cryin' shame because I really liked their stuff. Now I have to bike five blocks to get the good shit.

Comments