Ginger Hop, 18 December 2018

WE'RE IN THE MIDDLE OF MUTHAFUCKIN EL NNNIIIÑÑÑOOO
So I ran a poll on Twitter about what I was going to get for lunch and it ended up a tie between the salmon burger (with a puzzling wasabi tartar sauce) and the kimchi Rachael, I opted for the kimchi Rachael since that's what I was primarily interested in. (The "Bruce Lee Burger" got some attention, too, but not enough.)

So I call in my order ahead of getting there and the woman on the other end of the line is really enthusiastic about the kimchi Rachael and I bike up there and they've got Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle on the TV while I wait and I get to the scene where NPH is snorting blow off a woman's ass and then BAM! partial frontal nudity, meaning I got to see tits on my lunch break, something that's happened only once before, and I start to wonder if IFC is a premium cable channel because, well, unblurred titties.

And while I could sing the praises of titties aallll day, how about we just deal with the sandwich? That's why you come here. For the sandwiches. If you wanted titties, you'd go to Titty Bully which, no, I'm not going to see if that's a thing because that's bound to be some BDSM shit and I'm on the office computer right now.

I'll look it up when I get home.

Well, I didn't like the kimchi Rachael at first. I think it was because the kimchi was too spicy, having only had kimchi delivered to me in Mexasian fusion parcels where the flavor of kimchi is obscured by salsa and sour cream and shit. This was equally fusion-y but there was a simpler flavor profile allowing the kimchi to stand out and stand apart. From the menu:
Grilled Reuben with corned beef or smoked turkey and Swiss on rye, jazzed up with kimchi and Sriracha mayo. Also available with mock duck. $10.75
I should have maybe tried the mock duck but I didn't want to deviate too far from the mission: To put this tweet in my belly.
So, the turkey was oven-roasted and thin-sliced and moist, all the things you expect from turkey, and the Swiss? Fuck out of here with the Swiss. I could see it but I couldn't taste it, so, get ready for the first time we break out this joke on the new platform.
Sriracha mayo? Not impressed. Not even sure I tasted much of it - how are you going to taste sriracha when there's spicy kimchi?

But you know what I liked? How the kimchi interacted with the rye. Because the kimchi was so bold and so opposite from the dark tones of the bread, the toasted rye was able to stand out and pronounce itself. That's a trick I've not seen before, using something that spicy and sour to push the bread.

Overall, a very balanced sandwich, not one I'm sure I'll revisit but it was good enough that I'll trust the rest of their menu items. Maybe later on this week I'll tackle that salmon burger or, damn my blood pressure, the Bruce Lee burger.

Also, mama at the shop was so cool that she wrapped my sandwich up tight upon seeing my messenger bag and figuring me for a cyclist, so they scored extra points and I bet they didn't even know they were playing.
And now?

Now I have to deal with an ant problem. Because that's my job. As a shipping/receiving clerk.

Comments