The Lowbrow, 29 July 2018

So, GF and I were looking for brunch before a memorial service and, believe me, I’m saying BRUNCH because some of my far left comrades need to back up off the “brunch left”: I’m an anarcho-communist who has a late breakfast on a Sunday, I beg you to challenge my politics because of the time of day I eat my first meal. Shit’s about as dumb as when I read somebody equating veganism with racism.
ANYhoo, I Googled “brunch 55407″ and this place, Lowbrow, the Lowbrow, something like that comes up and I look over the menu and they’re all about this sustainable and local sourced and giving ten percent back to the community and I think that’s cool so I ask GF, “You ever been to the Lowbrow?”
“Yeah.”
“Want to go there?”
“Sure.”
Fairly simple exchange there.
We get there and the place is packed wall-to-wall with caucasians, which will no don’t fuel Identity-Left Twitter’s frenzied hunger for criticizing inconsequential shit. We’re shown a seat for two right away, a minute later a guy takes our order, and I opt for a Bloody Beer because this place doesn’t have a hard liquor license like Tiny Diner and also like Tiny Diner they have a Sake Mary but I’ve had a Sake Mary and #NeverAgain. Bloody Beer? I drank those back in the day with Janis, they do OK.
The Bloody Beer was fine, the unseeded jalapeño provided a bit of kick after I released it from the pick and let it sink to the bottom. Before that, it just tasted like Campbell’s Vegetable Soup broth. Nothing.offensive, probably didn’t come out of a bottle given their literature.
GF and I split a BLT with fries, I ordered an egg sunny side up.
GF and I were on the same page. She said, “I don’t know why but there’s something I don’t like about this sandwich.”
I said, “Because you could use the toasted sourdough to scrape paint off the side of a boat.”
“I don’t like what’s going on with this lettuce.”
“Yeah, it’s shredded, you need whole leaf on a BLT.”
“Yeah, shredded lettuce kind of Subways it.”
She ended up giving me her half of the BLT, adding, once we got outside, “I didn’t like their tomatoes, either.”
Me? I like the BLT even though I could count some points against it. Toasted sourdough sounds good but it’s already a bread you have to fight untoasted. I didn’t notice anything particularly egregious about the tomato but I wasn’t crazy about the shredded lettuce.
The bacon was thick cut and the mayo was ample, creamy, and tangy.
The fries were salty as all fuck and GF wound up not eating many while I used them to stab my egg yolf and dip into it. Once GF gave me her half the sandwich, I transferred my egg onto that. That seemed to kick things up.
There was a bit of a wait between ordering and receiving our food, though not an unreasonable Sand Castle wait and this wait you could see justified as they had plenty of people on staff, all of whom were bopping from one table to the next refilling waters and delivering plates.
Still, our guy hooked us up with a piece of coffee cake after we settled up the bill as an apology for the long wait, which was nice, appreciated, but also unnecessary as we totally understood what the sitch was. Then GF’s dog managed to snatch it off the back of the counter when neither of us was looking, the fucking prick.
It’s not the most glowing review but I liked the place. Give them a shot, see what you think.

Comments