Lu’s, 30 July 2018

Lu’s is canceled.
I didn’t even take a pic.
I got out of my appointment yesterday evening, it was late, I figured I would just pick up a bánh mì from My Huong Kitchen but they’re closed on Mondays so, even though I knew better, I went to Lu’s.
The line was something like six or seven deep, they were moving pretty fast. I got the mock duck bánh mì. I sat down and thought the mock duck looked funny. Bit into it and it was full of mushrooms.
Mushrooms.
Steamed mushrooms.
The mock duck was a concoction of (I assume) actual mock duck and mushrooms, steamed to the point of being soggy throughout, the thought of which makes me want to ralph. Soggy mock duck and mushrooms.
Soggy mock duck and mushrooms.
I’ve said it before: Lu’s has gone off-script. Even before they started offering lettuce…
… and who asks for lettuce on a bánh mì? That’s like naming a baby Terry. But even before they started offering fucking lettuce, they got rid of their French fries. WHY!? Those were the best French fries in town. It was literally the only thing Georgie and I ever agreed on.
Lu’s used to be the jam; three bánh mì for ten dollars, stoned bike delivery guys, running out of bread every day but never at the same time every day, unattended albino children! And here’s the thing: I’m not making any of that up! I saw my first albino at Lu’s. She had her back to me and I thought somebody just left this little blonde white girl unattended and then this Asian guy comes in and starts speaking his language at her and she turns around and I’m all, “Holy shit! She’s an albino!”
That was the Lu’s I knew and loved. And now? Now? Now, they’re just like Bep, offering to put peanuts on your sandwich. You know what they asked me when I ordered my bánh mì? If I wanted mayo or pâté. That used to be standard, now they ask me if I want it. They ask me if I want “traditional” veggies which basically means “no lettuce”. They have egg rolls, now. They are a far cry from the Lu’s they used to be. I get it, in order to stay in business, they have to cater to the masses but this is a flagrant appeal to the white dollar: Lettuce. Peanuts. Egg rolls. Optional toppings. Are they trying to be Subway? Not one other bánh mì joint in my hood makes bánh mì this way and they’re in business.*
Oh and that fucking soggy steamed mock duck and mushroom hash was godawful fucking disgusting. I threw half my sandwich out because I ate the half with just the toppings.
This is as definitive and as hard a no as I’ve made on Sandwich Bully but, for real, if you need a bánh mì, go to literally any other bánh mì joint in my hood. Even Jasmine Deli. And it’s a sad day when I can recommend Jasmine Deli over Lu’s. Rest in Peace, Lu’s.

* Granted the caveat is that those other bánh mì joints aren’t just bánh mì joints, they have a solid menu of other items while Lu’s is just bánh mì and egg rolls and sesame balls. They probably do have to go Subway to appeal to the widest audience.

Comments