Kramarczuk’s, 25 May 2018

I haven’t had an appetite in a week and a half and I finally got it back, so today I decided to treat myself with a lunch just pricey enough to be considered almost obscene.
Kramarczuk’s has a pretty high batting average with me, only had one subpar sandwich from them ever and I like shopping their deli. Wanted to try something a little different today, so I ordered the Krakowska sandwich - krakowska, havarti, lettuce, tomato, pickle, garlic mayo, on caraway rye.
The gal who made my sandwich - and all the staff are super fucking nice, by the way - put onion on my sandwich instead of pickles, which totally didn’t matter because there’s a pickle bar next to the silverware and napkins and such. So I was able to stock up on pickles and just put them on myself. I also ordered a cucumber salad because I like cucumber salad and a Buddy’s Orange Soda.
But the sandwich? First thing you notice is the garlic mayo. They aren’t playing around: This is vampire-killing strength mayonnaise. The krakowska is garlicy, salty, porky. Everything a good sausage should be. The caraway rye offsets the garlic overload. The veggies don’t really do much. You don’t notice the lettuce, the tomato added a little sweetness to balance out the flavor profile, the red onion just kind of gets lost, I detected no bite or sweetness on behalf of the onion.
However, the real multi-dimensional and often-troubling-to-find-yourself-empathizing-with subject of this grisly true crime documentary comes courtesy of a nuanced performance delivered by the havarti.
Let me tall you about this havarti.
Can I talk to you about this havarti?
I’ve been dying to talk to you about this havarti.
This havarti melts in your mouth. It does. It is a true creamy havarti, I could tell when the gal was assembling my sandwich that this was not the semi-soft Sysco block, no. This is honest to gosh havarti that turns to a cream in your mouth. While it wasn’t meant to be the defining feature of the sandwich, it definitely stole the spotlight from the krakowska. The krakowska was almost more of a supporting player. It gets the Oscar for best Supporting Actress.
It was worth every penny and a great way to welcome my appetite back.
Kramarczuk’s is just on the northeast side of the Father Hennepin Bridge, an area of town where they are literally the only reason for me to visit ever since Nye’s closed down and was resurrected as whatever it is now that I am super-hesitant to enter. They make their own sausage in house, sell a lot of sausage, too. Saw gator sausage there one time. I usually always try to keep a jar of their mustard in my fridge. I should pick up some chocolate there sometime, come to think of it. They used to throw the Kielbasa Festival. I have the commemorative stein from every year they threw the fest. Really, I could just gush and gush about this place which is why I’ll wrap this up right here.
Go give them your money.

Comments