Hi-Lo, 19 May and IKEA, 20 May 2018

No pics this time. Sorry. You know what food looks like anyway. Go watch Binging with Babish if you need a refresher on what food looks like.
ANYhoo, this goddamned blood pressure medication has robbed me of my fucking appetite. Think I went over that in the last post. Let me check.
[checks]
Yep, went over that. Don’t really have to go over that again. I know that I have to eat but I’m never in the mood to which is strange considering the more common side effect of Norvasc is weight gain. So I guess I’m just going to be fattest fucking anorexic you’ve ever met, how about that?
What!? It is not body-shaming! It is my body’s reaction to a common calcium blocker and I get to mock the affects it has on my general well being any goddamned way I choose. I know how I’m going to die now, motherfuckers, can you say the same? No? Then quit blood pressure shaming me, you salt-lovin’ sons a bitches! Motherfuckers with your twenty five dollar ceramic bacon pins from Etsy. Suck butter!
ANYhoo!
GF and I went to Hi-Lo for dinner Saturday night. I had the fish & chips, she had the cheeseburger and I wish I’d gotten the cheeseburger. It was cooked to medium with wonderful melted American cheese, shredded iceberg lettuce and something called “diner sauce” which was probably just thousand island. My fish was fine, served with a remoulade - think fancy tartar sauce - rather than a tartar sauce - think regular tartar sauce but they spaced on bringing out the sauce until after I had finished my fish but I was still able to dip my fries in it. The fish could have used it, though. No matter how much lemon I squeezed on it, malt vinegar I doused it with, salt and pepper I hit it with, it was just OK. It hit the spot, it was good, but I had a bite of GF’s cheeseburger and I told her, “I should have gotten that.” In fact, if it weren’t for that I understand my limitations now, especially with having this bullshit blood pressure, I would have finished her burger for her.
I washed it back with a coffee beer, the Bent Paddle Cold Press something or other. I like coffee beers. I think I prefer this one over Surly.
Also, for the fact that our server looked to be harried but was super cool every time he came to our table, I have to recommend this place. The fish & chips were good, the cheeseburger was better, the servers fucking rule, and they have Chilean sea bass on the menu. Go there. Give them your money.
The next day, GF and I had to make an IKEA run, rather she had to make an IKEA and I wanted to go because, if you don’t know yet, IKEA is my happiest place. I’m not joking. I legitimately like going to IKEA. One time I went there and I didn’t even buy anything. I just went in there. And they let you do that. You can go into an IKEA, stand around for an hour, hour and a half, looking at tiny apartment models, not buy anything, and just leave.
Well, I bought the hot dog combo at the bistro that time.
This time, I had the smoked salmon sandwich with a side of meatballs and fries. The sandwich was good but I would have preferred it served hot rather than cold and maybe a few more pickles on it. The red cabbage was alright, I had no idea what the herbs were that were baked into the bun.
GF got the three-piece chicken strip combo. I did not sample that. I know what chicken strips taste like. She ate them all, she didn’t say “This chicken strip tastes off” or anything, so I assume they were OK.
I had the lingonberry drink. It was sweeter than usual.
It’s IKEA. There’s that. I mean, it’s a cafeteria. The food is better than a typical cafeteria I suppose. I wouldn’t know. I haven’t been in a cafeteria since the last time I was at IKEA and before that was high school almost twenty years ago. (Don’t age shame me, bro. Or sis. Or however you identify.) I guess it would be pretty awkward to recommend the IKEA cafeteria outside of the context of going to IKEA for any other purchase but, uh, say there’s a Chipotle across the street from your IKEA, I’d say fuck the Chipotle and get yourself some meatballs.
Like I said, I have no pictures this time but I have this from my December IKEA run:

That would be the meatball combo. It was really good. Take it over Chipotle anyday. Who I would take over Naf Naf, who I would take over Roti. Or something.

Comments