Be’wiched, 2 June 2016

OK, first impression of Be'Wiched, based on one sandwich.
Firstly, it’s expensive. Not pricey, expensive. At least for a guy like me, a guy whose fingers you’d have to snap off at the knuckles with bolt-cutters to get a dollar out of his palm. But I get it: Everything here is made from scratch, sourced locally, and organic, you pay a premium for these sorts of things. I typically don’t care about those things when I want a pastrami sandwich but OK.
Secondly, the place is def gentrified, on the northwest side of the North Loop (home to no bar I ever want to visit) and def hipster, you could easily see this place run by a partnership between Zooey Deschanel and Zoe Kazan, Adam what'shisbucket from Girls that was in that Star War could play the eccentric grill cook, and Bill Murray makes a cameo with a bad Jewish accent. But I digress: It’s super clean in there, super well lit, and the staff have a great hoptoitiveness.
How was the food? Well, I got a fifteen dollar double pastrami sandwich that was about the size of my forearm. It came on rye with pickled cabbage and coarse mustard and, well, because it kind of needed the cabbage and mustard. The meat, free from hormones and probably not brined or smoked in manner I’m familiar with, was on the bland side by itself; the mustard and pickled cabbage made the sandwich more than the meat. The bread? Bread is bread homie. As long as it doesn’t crunch-berry the roof of my mouth, I’m good.
Down side? My pickle, man.
Do they give me a quarter pickle? No, they give me three little pickle chunks in a condiment cup like I’m a preschooler eating a snack pack. I’m dropping twenty beans on my lunch after tip, the least you can do is give me a whole spear. What there was of the pickle tasted good; it was a sweet hot as opposed to a dill, a nice curveball.
Will I eat there again? Well, it’s kind of like the much-maligned now-defunct Rye Deli: I will if I ever have that kind of money to drop on lunch again but that won’t be for a while. I did like it, though. I’ll recommend it, too.

Comments