Walkin’ Dog, 18 May 2018

Where to begin?
Let’s start here:
The problem with going on blood pressure medication, well, one problem with going on blood pressure medication, is that I never have an appetite, I break out in a sweat when I eat, and I constantly have the urge to shit. But today, the Sasquatch truck was back and I figured it was finally time to try that Reuben.
So I got on my bike come lunch time and headed down to food truck alley, which is the other place I could have began, with my open and repeated proclamation that there are only two food trucks I fuck with: Foxy Falafel and Finer Meat Co. But for the purposes of research, I thought I’d try the ‘squatch.
No dice, because I got there and they had a cardboard tag in the window that said they were closed which didn’t matter since they had a SOLD OUT magnet slapped over the Reuben. OK. No big. Let’s see what else there is before I have to make my eventual Chipotle run.
I come up to a truck called US Grill, which uses the US Bank logo as a template for its own, and the name is the usual sort of English-as-a-second-language business name like Cup Foods or Tacos El Kevin.
There are only two items on their menu: Cheesesteak and something else.
Cheesesteak.
My Achilles heel.
I walk up to the window and the guy in there says, “We’re closed.”
Shit. I’m going to have to go to Chipotle.
And then I remembered, “Oh, shit! The Dog!”
Mondays and Fridays, Walkin’ Dog, the only chili dog game downtown, in the Crowne Plaza, does two-fers or bogos or something. Whatever, it’s cheap and it’s not Chipotle and it’s open and it’s not a food truck and I’ve not sung its praises yet and I don’t know why.
Now that pic up there isn’t flattering because the dogs got smooshed in my bag on the ride back but, believe me, they’re delicious. The default over at Walkin’ Dog is chili, cheese, and onion. Me, I opt for chili, mustard, and onion, which the new guy once said was “New York Style”. I wasn’t aware that that’s what my hot dog preference was called but OK, new guy, OK.
The dogs are Ball Park - you can get Vienna, Klement’s, Johnsonville, too. They’ve got all kinds of dogs. The buns are soft. They’ve got yellow and spicy brown mustard, the onions have a bit of bite, and the chili is closer to actual chili rather than a “chili dog sauce”.
I’m not going to run down all the available toppings, I’ll just say that if you were in the mood for a Chicago dog, that’s not at all a challenge for them. It’s all right there in front of you.
Anyway, it’s the only chili dog joint downtown and a pair runs you five and a half bucks. They’re good chili dogs, too. Can’t really go too into that, you either know what a chili dog tastes like or you don’t. It’s either good or it isn’t. The place has been in business since ‘91, so they obviously do good work. A lunch spot in the same place for twenty seven years? Yeah, dude, they know what they’re doing. Go get a pair of sloppy ones for lunch. Forget those bullshit $12 hot dog trucks.

Comments